Monday, April 27, 2020

Sam and Me


The window to our bedroom was open even though it was a cool April morning.   Sam our 60-pound, black mixed breed dog, heard the delivery truck maneuvering up the gravel driveway long before Ed or I did.   Always alert Sam barked.  It was his rapid fire, high pitched bark, BARK, BARK, BARK.   My stomach tightened as it always did when someone arrived at the house.   It was 2011 and I had become a certified dog trainer two years earlier.  Little did I know that on that morning circumstances would soon unfold leaving me to question my career, and Sam’s future in our household.

I had been thinking about getting another dog for months.  Our last dog had passed in February 2003, and I was missing canine companionship.  My sights were set on a medium size mixed breed dog.   On a warm spring day in 2004, I walked down to the village convenience store to look at the ads in a couple of local papers. Perhaps I would find a dog for sale or even free?   Maybe someone was looking to re- home a dog they could no longer keep?   While glancing through the papers, I mentioned to the clerk working behind the counter, may desire to get a dog.  “Susie would like to find a new home for Sammie,” the clerk informed me.   “Really, I didn’t know she wanted to get rid of Sam,” I replied.   “Yeah, she thinks he is too much to handle, I’ll see if she’s in the back and you two can talk about it.”

When we moved to our home in Montgomery Vermont, my husband, Ed and I became acquainted with Susie.  She owned the “mom and pop” local gas station, and convenience store within walking distance from my house.  I stopped in regularly to pick up milk, snacks or fill up my car with gas.  Often when I stopped, I would see Sam at the store, visiting with customers, or laying back behind the check- out counter.   He was a puppy at the time not more than three or four months old.  Sam seemed happy at the store and I was a little surprised when I heard Susie was looking to re-home him.   Several months later after we brought Sam to live with us, I began to question whether I should do the same.

I could tell what Sam was thinking by looking in his eyes.  They were dark, and alert, sometimes questioning, and often mistrusting.  His mother was a lab mix and his father a collie.  Sam had attributes of both breeds.  He was almost entirely black like his mom.  His fur was not short like a lab, and not long like a collie, a nice blend of both.  Sam’s ears showed the most confusion over his mixed bloodlines, they wanted to point straight up in the air, but the ends simply couldn’t, flopping down but only at the very ends.   When he arrived to live with us, I felt like an experienced dog owner having had three dogs at one time, losing the last one only two years earlier.  Soon I realized that my dog owning experience was no match for Sam.

One of Sam’s most redeeming qualities was his tenacious loyalty, which he bestowed on Ed and me without question. He learned things very quickly with an inquisitive tilt of his head anytime he was in learning mode.   Sam was a playful, friendly puppy when we adopted him at six months of age.   Unfortunately, several months later he began to show aggressive behavior to people he would encounter for the first time.   Ed and I owned a retail business during this period.  As his previous owner Susie had done, we brought Sam to the store with us.  This worked well for about two months and then suddenly one day Sam lunged, and jumped at one of our customers, clearly intending to bite him.   From that time on Sam was either crated while at the store or left at home.  Another concerning behavior was Sam’s propensity to chase cars, trucks, motorcycles, anything that moved even a bicycle, or jogger, triggered Sam.  The moment he saw something move he was gone, there was absolutely no reasoning with him until the moving object either left him in the dust or he caught the object and did or tried to do what instinct told him,  bite!!!   

 Now on this April morning, a stranger was arriving at the house.  Sam began his frantic barking and lunging at the window.” Don’t let Sam out, the oil man is coming”, Ed said.  As if I didn’t know this with all the barking Sam was doing.   “I’ll go get the checkbook so we can pay him”, Ed added as he walked into his office.

The barking continued as I lured Sam away from the window.  Why I thought it was a good time to practice the obedience training I had been working on with Sam is something I’ll ponder into my next life.  “Sit” I told Sam, “Stay” He’s doing it, I thought to myself.  What a good dog.   Without looking at me or Sam, and with check in hand, Ed opens the door to the front porch.   In a nanosecond Sam darts past me and runs out the door, leveling a bite to the delivery man’s arm.  Blood is dripping and I hear the man utter, “Jesus Christ”.    I hadn’t kept Sam far enough away from the door.  I hadn’t even put him on his leash.  He made the decision to run out, and I had done nothing to prevent it.  
Ed grabs Sam and throws him back inside, slamming the door.  Seconds late, while my mind is swirling and my heart is racing, I hear Ed say, “I’m really sorry, take this money for any medical treatment you need.”  A $100.00 dollar bill lands in the man’s hand. Tears streamed down my face; how could I have been so careless?   I sour taste rises from the pit of my stomach, moving to the back of my throat.  My stomach is tighter than any fist I could ever make.  The feeling of shame is doing its best to drown me.    As I look at Sam, I notice his wild-eyed stare, his panting and shaking, all clear indicators that I failed him.

Ed and I counted our blessings that there were no ramifications from Sam’s bite to the delivery man.  The thought that the oil company may no longer deliver to us, or worse yet, expensive medical bills, or a lawsuit were all thoughts that loomed in our minds for months after the incident.   As time went by hearing nothing, we relaxed.  If I was honest with myself, I knew that dodging one bullet wasn’t going to cut it.  Owning Sam was a liability, and I knew every time he showed aggression was a setback for him and for me.   

The winter of 2009 was for me a time of discontentment.  My sister had died in October 2008 at the age of 46.  She was my only sibling and I struggled to understand why I had become an only child.  That September I turned 50 and in December Ed and I decided to sell our retail business.  Change was everywhere, and with it came trepidation.   Ed wanted to retire.  I knew I was too young for that but had no idea what to do with my life.  I spent hours that winter gazing out the window watching snow fall and asking the universe for direction.  Sam was my constant companion during this time.  I loved taking him with me when I snowshoed or cross-country skied but the joy we experienced together was tainted by fear that we might meet a stranger.  Encountering people in public places or people arriving to our home unexpectedly, or strangers of any kind triggered aggression in Sam.   Ed stopped taking him anywhere, but I still believed he would get use to people if he saw them more often.  Who was right?  What was best for Sam?

Over the years I had visited the small public library in my town to check out books, but on this day, I was at the library sitting in front of a computer.   I had little to no experience with google, websites, emails or other nuances inherent with computer technology.   I resisted getting a home computer, which is way I was now in the library struggling to obtain information which might help me find a new career. There are four computers available for use in the library.  Two were occupied by male patrons and like me they were staring at their screens.  I thought about asking one of them for help, but decided they looked very entrenched in what they were doing.  Besides I didn’t want to appear too ignorant.  But I couldn’t stare at the screen all day.   “Can you show me how to get information about dog training?”  I asked the librarian.  She looked me up and down as if I had just appeared from under a rock.  “Do a google search,” she replied. The perplexed look on my face must have told her I didn’t know how to do that.   “What specifically are you trying to find out about dog training?”   “Oh, I just want to know if there are any trainers in Vermont and maybe programs that train people to be dog trainers”, I responded.   She told me to type into the google search area, “dog trainers in Vermont”.  “If you need any more help, I’ll be over here at my desk”, she said walking to her desk at the other side of the room.    

During the winter of 2009 I contemplated new career opportunities.   I felt strongly that I needed to do something that made me feel good about myself, as well as something that mattered to the world more than selling beer and cigarettes.   I continued to think about Sam’s behavior and wondered how I could help him overcome his fears.   Maybe a new career working with dogs would help us both.   Was there any money to be made in dog training?  How legitimate a career is it, do people hire dog trainers?    I will never forget that visit to the library.   The google search proved most helpful.  As I typed into the search bar, “dog training in Vermont”, a message immediately appeared on the screen.  Canine Dimensions-Dog Training Franchise available in Vermont.  The words flashed across the screen and continued flashing as I quickly jotted down the contact information.   Seeing the message was a sign for me.  At that moment I knew the universe was working in my favor. 

I returned home immediately after learning about the franchise opportunity.  Ed was watching something on TV, and I burst into the room filled with hope and excitement.  “I think I found what I want to do, I said.    What are you talking about, you seem really excited, Ed replied?    “There’s a dog training franchise available for sale in Vermont, I have the phone number to call.   I think I should call the number and talk to them about this.  Let’s both get on the phone and ask whoever owns the franchise some questions.”   Ed was always more levelheaded than I and certainly less emotional when making business decisions.   That night after dinner we put a list of questions together and phoned the owner of Canine Dimensions the next afternoon.   Ed was concerned that with Vermont’s small population I wouldn’t be able to earn enough money running the franchise.   My heart was ruling the situation and I already saw myself training dogs.   We both asked questions, received answers, and the decision was made in a few days that I would become a Canine Dimensions dog trainer contingent on passing three weeks of training which would happen in early September. 

As I had hoped, becoming a dog trainer gave me a career I loved and felt passionate about.  What I learned during training and put into use with clients ultimately benefited Sam.   I became a more confident handler. Sam was bright and learned things quickly.  Within months of working with him based on my newfound knowledge, I had him walking next to me off leash, healing on leash, no longer lunging at cars, people, or other moving things.  He performed basic obedience commands, such as sit, down, come and stay with a reasonable level of distraction.  Training had taught me that there is no 100% cure for aggression and that I would need to learn to anticipate Sam’s behavior given what he experienced in his environment.   Most of the time I was able to do that.  I completed my training in September 2009 and until Sam’s death in 2016 he still reacted when people arrived at our home.  However, training had given me the skills to introduce him to a new person and when done properly he showed no aggression.   A level of comfort I hadn’t known in years made its way back into my life.   Unfortunately, on that April morning, two years into my dog training career, when Sam bit the oil delivery man, I neglected to manage his behavior. 

 Over the past ten years I have discovered much about the human/dog relationship.  Both dogs and people need to understand their place in this world.  Rules and boundaries aid with this understanding.  Like people, canines want and need a family structure.  A dog’s pack mentality evolved from their wolf cousins, is an innate part of their being.  Teaching a dog to obey the basic commands, sit, down, come and stay offers him the opportunity to learn, listen, and focus. Children enjoy play and so do dogs. In fact, play is essential to the well-being of dogs.  Engaging a dog’s play drive by chasing a ball or playing a game of tug instinctively bonds the canine to the person who engages with him.   I found all these skills of great benefit when working with Sam.  Discoveries about myself surfaced as well.  I realized that training other people’s dogs puts me at a distance, an emotional distance that I don’t have when working with my own.   Because I’m a dog trainer I expect my own dogs to be flawless.  I still remind myself each day that this is an unrealistic expectation which does a disservice to my dogs and myself.

  The memories of that April morning in 2011 will always haunt me.  The poor judgement I made allowing Sam to run out the door and level a bite to a stranger activated a sense of failure within me.  Not only did I know better professionally, failure one, but as a responsible dog owner I should always have my dog under control, failure number two.   I teach my clients that there is always an element of unpredictably with dogs and therefore they should maintain control, always.   There is no doubt I failed that obligation thoroughly that spring morning.   But despite his imperfections, Sam was my dog, and deep within I knew I needed him to teach me lessons I had yet to learn.  

  Over time, working with client dogs helped me hone my training skills and realize that there are countless dogs like Sam living with people who need help understanding and managing canine behaviors.    One client’s dog I particularly remember was a German Shepherd named Roscoe.  Like Sam, Roscoe had fear based aggression.  He would bark, and lunge at visitors when they entered the home.   A successful dog training outcome depends on follow through from owners.  I provide a training blueprint; the owner must take the instructions and build a relationship with their dog.   As I tell every client, “I have no magic wand, it’s up to you to put in the work.  It’s a matter of consistency.”

Roscoe’s owners followed my advice, did the work and saw the results.  I taught them the proper way to introduce Roscoe to a new person.  They repeated the greeting exercise many, many times.   Roscoe’s mom and dad took on the role of true leaders and Roscoe was happy to follow.  In a matter of two months they reported to me a marked improvement in Roscoe’s behavior.   Success such is this, helped to bolster my confidence and refuel my spirit.   I had allowed what I thought were Sam’s shortcomings to define who I was as a trainer.  Each new dog training case reminded me there is no flawlessness, only tiny increments of success.  

And yes, success can be sweet.  Recently, I received an email from a client after I did a ten day training program with her Goldendoodle, Oakley.  In part the email reads, “I wanted to let you know that Oakley is doing well.  Everywhere we go people comment on how well behaved she is….I just wanted to thank you again for what you did.  It’s hard to think she was ever anything other than perfect but I have the torn jackets and a few scars to prove otherwise…. I’m so grateful.”    Receiving a testimonial like this makes it all worthwhile.    I’m so thankful I didn’t give up on Sam or myself.

So here is the story, at last on paper.  For many years shame and blame wouldn’t allow me to think about the “April bite”.   But life has a way of healing wounds, because without healing it’s impossible to move forward.  Often, we need something or someone outside of ourselves to point us in the direction of forgiveness.   I needed to forgive myself, and a canine mutt named Sam showed me the way.  He was a true teacher.  I learned from him the importance of loyalty, attentiveness and living in the present moment.  But the most important lesson Sam taught me is that we are all imperfect creatures.  I worked with Sam to help him overcome his imperfections and we had some success.  He gave me his all, and for that I’m thankful.   Striving to be better is an admirable trait.  Reaching perfection is impossible, and like Sam I’m alright with that.
 
Maryanne Wood, CDBA
April 27, 2020